There are many ways to taste and explore fresh veggies and fruit and still save money!
- Pick berries.
- Grow vegetables and fruit in your own garden, greenhouse or a community garden.
- Buy only what your family will eat within a few days.
- Buy at different stage of ripeness, some that are ready to eat and some that will ripen in a few days.
- Store properly to prevent spoilage.
- Do not wash produce (except leafy greens) before storing since it will make them go bad faster.
- Freeze over ripe bananas to use in smoothies or to make banana muffins or bread.
- Plan meals and snacks around what fresh produce you have on hand.
- Buy in season at your local grocery store or farmer’s market.
- Instead of buying pre-chopped raw vegetables buy whole vegetables, such as a bag of carrots or head of broccoli, peel and chop yourself.